Alphamstone is a small village on the Essex/Suffolk border. The church of St Barnabas is built on the site of a Bronze-age burial earthwork and there are several sarsen stones around the church with one being built in the foundations. In the early 12th c a little stone sanctuary was built which was probably just a nave with a small chancel and semi-circular apse.
A blocked-up Norman window remains today as well a a font, stone sedilia and piscina in the chancel. Entrance is through the 15th c north porch but previously it was through south which looks out to the open country. The wooden bell-turret was built in 1729 after the previous west tower was destroyed in a storm the previous year and houses 3 Tudor bells.